If you want to keep your inspections records in one place, I highly recommend a free on-line source called Hive Tracks. I find it incredible that they can offer such a fine service and easy to navigate system for no cost. Of course they do have a donate button!
I use their inspection form then enter the information on-line. Nice to be able to keep records in one place and the reports are great.
Seems with the warm winter that we had last year is partially to blame for the rise in my mite counts. Over the past several years when the state inspector dropped by, they were amazed on how little mites there were in the Varroa “roll”. Of course the State of Florida is “pro treat” and I informed the inspectors that I don’t treat unless it’s absolutely necessary.
So for the 1st time in 5 years, I’m going to treat with Oxalic acid (at least test) by the vaporizer method and see what the kill count is. I’ll post my results after I treat this weekend. The word “acid” is a scary word but it’s a natural acid so I guess I’m still organic to some degree.
Really weird… I guess I was not on top of things. Came home from work yesterday and 2 spare Nucs that I had sitting in the bee yard now have full time residents! Very small late summer swarms (probably only 2000 bees or so) but this is the first time this has happened to boxes laying around.
So this weekend I’ll do inspection on the double-deep hives and do alittle checker-boarding to provide more room for laying.
FatBeeMan shows how to use a vaporizer with Oxalic acid to treat for Varroa mites. Although Oxalic acid is harmless to the honey bee, keep in mind you do need to use protective gear when doing this treatment. The vapor is highly harmful to your eyes, nose, and lungs, and exposes the beekeeper to significant risk of serious injury.