Got out my Brushy Mountain frame jig yesterday and put together about 50 Kelly Beekeeping foundationless frames. I’m going to try and go this route so I’m not using the same wax frames year after year. I had realized that some of my initial hives had the same frames in the bottom deep over 5 years!! Those got slimed least year during my Beetle Mania battle. Judging from the amount of comb one of my packages made in the empty deep that was protecting the syrup I don’t think that building foundation on an empty frame will be a problem.
The “problem” will be keeping them in a straight line when they are initially building the comb. I’ll post some pictures after the install as they progress.
Yes indeed…. had a bad year last year in the apiary. Mostly due to my mismanagement and the beetles got crazy and drove everyone away! I installed 3 packages on May 16th and the beetles took over one right away. So it looks like i’m going to freeze some frames and start over with a split.
Here is one of the packages 2 weeks after installment. I put them in one deep, inner cover, 5:3 syurp on top surrounded by a deep box. I figured that the girls needed some food to start since I missed my pickup date for the packages and the bees were sitting in the warehouse an extra day and they looked pitiful. I’m going to spit this one pronto!
As you can see, they ran out of room down below and started building comb in the empty box!